Monday 22 November 2010

Sir Terence Conran

I am a big fan of Sir Terence Conran, partially for his designs, but more so for his general outlook on design and entrepreneurial skills. I admire what he has achieved and the route in which he has done so. A lot of my ideas and ideals are similar to his own; I think this will become more evident in my upcoming furniture and my aproach to the market.

This is a great interview with Sir Terence highlighting his views on the importance of design as a trade in Britain and where he thinks future design is heading.

I like this extract:

I hope that people will do what I did when I left college. I found that making my designs was the way to pay the bills. I learnt to weld and started woodworking and built a furniture business that way. It's not an easy route but it's a solid one nevertheless and beneļ¬cial for the economy of the country. We desperately need young entrepreneurs. 

I have also been reading 'Terence Conran: Design and the Quality of Life' by Elizabeth Wilhide. I find that It's ideal when feeling the strains of establishing a business or doing continuous design work and in need of a dose of optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment